Afternoon quiz show Hot Seat has made the ratings top 10, which will be a sore point for the Seven Network and its multiple-choice series Million Dollar Minute.
The Eddie McGuire-hosted Hot Seat was 10th with 662,000 viewers on Thursday to give the Nine Network five top-rating shows in OzTAM’s overnight figures.
Hot Seat has already seen off Seven’s Deal or No Deal in the 5.30pm timeslot.
Deal or No Deal was brought forward to 5pm. The show has now ceased production, although repeats of the game show are still broadcast.
Seven created Million Dollar Minute to replace Deal or No Deal and take Hot Seat head-on in the ratings.
Originally fronted by Grant Denyer, Million Dollar Minute launched with 811,000 viewers in September, but it’s been downhill from there and the show has played second fiddle to Hot Seat.
Denyer was replaced in January with Simon Reeve but the show continues to languish.
On Thursday, it was 20th overall with 464,000 viewers.
The networks say the 5.30pm timeslot is pivotal as a lead-in show for the rest of the night’s viewing and is crucial to winning the all-important news hour when other programs are promoted.
Nine won the 5.30pm timeslot with Hot Seat, and its news service filled the first two spots in Thursday’s rankings.
Nine News was first (1.210 million viewers) and Nine News 6.30pm (1.143 million) was second.
Also making a rare appearance in the top 10 was the ABC1 comedy Shaun Micallef’s Mad As Hell.
Last week, Mad As Hell was 19th, but on Thursday it was eighth with 760,000 viewers.
Most-watched shows on Thursday
1. Nine News (Nine) – 1.201 million
2. Nine News 6.30pm (Nine) – 1.143 million
3. Seven News (Seven) – 1.084 million
4. A Current Affair (Nine) – 997,000
5. Seven News/Today (Seven) – 994,000
6. Home and Away (Seven) – 895,000
7. ABC News (ABC1) – 886,000
8. Shaun Micallef’s Mad As Hell (ABC1) – 760,000
9. RBT rpt – (Nine) – 694,000
10. Hot Seat (Nine) – 662,000
20. Million Dollar Minute (Seven) – 464,000
* Source OzTAM